These yellow color flowers are very attractive to the eyes and even good for healthier eyes. If you have a plant in your garden, you should definitely try a recipe on this as the delicate flowers are loaded with lot of nutrients. They are rich in Vitamin A, C, D, B and folic acid. They are also good sources of potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, sodium...
Pumpkin plant has separate male and female flowers usually male flowers come first. Pluck male flowers fresh in the morning (for cooking) as they don’t last for longer. Leave female flowers in the plant as they develop as fruit.
Here you find the recipe for chutney:
Pumpkin flowers – 6 -8
Grated coconut – ¼ cup
Tamarind pulp/ extract – 1 spoon
Ghee/Oil – 1tsp
Red/ Green Chillis - 1-2 (As per spice requirement)
Oil – 1 spoon
Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
Red Chilli – 1
- Take ghee/oil in a pan, heat.
- Add washed pumpkin flowers and Chilli and fry for a minute.
- Add coconut gratings, tamarind, fried flower and chilly, salt in a mixer jar. Grind them to make a smooth paste.
- Temper with Oil, mustard, chilli flakes and curry leaves.
- Tasty chutney is ready as a combination for Dosa/ Rice.