Pumpkin suits best in making of spicy sambhar, palya and even payasa/ kheer and it is naturally sweeter in taste. It is a nutritious vegetable and is very rich in vitamin A and other.
Today, I am posting the recipe of a traditional curry from my native place which is Sihi kumbala kalasu or pumpkin in cumin flavored coconut gravy!
Preparation time: 10 minutes (excludes soaking time of chickpeas)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Pumpkin pieces (roughly chopped) – 2 cups, about ½ of a small pumpkin
White chickpeas (soaked in water overnight) – ½ cup (optional)
Freshly grated coconut –½ cup
Cumin seeds – 1.5 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Jaggery – 1-2 tbsp (adjust to your taste)
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Dry red chilli – 1
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Wash and soak white chickpeas (or channa) overnight. Wash couple of times and drain water completely.
- Add little salt and water, pressure cook the soaked chickpeas for 2-3 whistles. Set aside until pressure releases.
- Cut pumpkin into small cubes. Need not peel the skin and use tender one to make this curry.
- Now, boil the chopped vegetables with little water. Add salt, jaggery, red chilli powder to it.
- When it is half cooked, add already cooked chickpeas. Boil well until vegetable cooked soft.
- Meanwhile, grind grated coconut, cumin seeds to smooth paste using a mixer jar. Add water as required.
- Add this coconut paste to cooked vegetable. Combine and boil well.
- Switch off the heat after boiling for 5 minutes.
- Prepare a seasoning / tadka of mustard seeds, minced dry red chilli and curry leaves in coconut oil. On spluttering, add it to the curry.
- Serve with rice and ghee or with mild flavored rice.
- Chickpeas, an optional ingredient can be eliminated.
- As tender the pumpkin picked, tastier the curry.
- Other vegetables like snake gourd / bottle gourd / Ridge gourd can be used in making this. Channa (chickpeas) should not be added in case of these vegetables.
- This curry is very mild and less spiced and usually made sweeter. You can adjust the sweet level as you like.