Sauropus androgynous or chakramuni leaves are shrubs grown in tropical region and being used as leafy vegetable. Freshly picked leaves are rich in vitamin B, C and minerals. Handful of these leaves can be used while preparing any vegetable stirfry (palya) or sambar.
Here you find recipe for Chutney.
Elevarige/ Vitamin leaves/ Chakramuni soppu – ¼ cup
Grated fresh coconut – ¼ cup
Green chillis – 2
Tamarind pulp – ½ spoon
Mustard seeds – ¼ spoon
Oil/ Ghee – 2 spoons
Red chilli - 1
- Wash and clean chakramuni leaves and drain the water content completely.
- Fry this with a spoonful of oil/ Ghee. Do till the raw smell of the leaves goes off.
- Make sure that you are not burning any leaf. Keep aside until cools down.
- Grind this along with grated coconut, chillis, tamarind and salt in a mixer until you get a smooth paste.
- You can add little water and not much.
- Tempering: Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, cut red chilli and curry leaves and let it splutter. Add it to the chutney.
- Serve chutney with dosa/ rice.
- You can use elevarige/ elemuri leaves in the place of chakramuni leaves.