Pulses are great sources of protein. We use them in the form of dal or as whole. They supply major portion of daily requirement of protein for vegetarians. They are also rich in dietary fiber, Vitamins & Minerals. Here is a recipe to prepare sambar out of them. I used combination of Lobia & black chick peas here. It is a good accomplishment for Idli/ Dosa/ Rice.
Preparation Time: 6 hours (Soaking)
Cooking time: 30 mins
Kaalu/ Pulse of your choice (Lobia/ Chick peas, fresh peas…) – 1 Cup
Tomato – 1 large
Tamarind – ¼ tsp
Jaggery – ½ tsp (optional or as per taste)
Sambar powder – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Coriander/ Curry leaves
- Soak pulses overnight (6-8 hours minimum). Wash and pressure cook with about 3 cups of water and turmeric powder.
- Roughly chop tomato and fry with few drops of oil until tomatoes are cooked.
- Grind coconut, cooked tomato, tamarind, sambar powder together to smooth paste.
- Once pressure settles down, open the cooker. Add the ground paste, salt if required, jaggery, red chilli powder and allow boiling.
- Add water if necessary to adjust the consistency of the sambar.
- Temper mustard in oil, add curry leaves and season the sambar with it.
- Serve healthy and tasty sambar hot.