Here is one of traditional breakfasts from Dakshina Kannada & Kasaragod region, cucumber spicy dosa resembles uttappam. It is very delicious and nutritious with all the goodness of cucumbers.
It was the monsoon delicacy with variations possible. At present, it can be prepared any season as plenty of cucumbers available any time.
Preparation time: 5 hours
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 20 dosasIngredients:
Rice- 4 cups
Grated Cucumbers/-2 cups or medium sized cucumbers -2
Green chilli – 2
Ginger – 1 inch
Curry leaves/ coriander leaves
Curds-1 ladle (optional)
Ghee & Oil – for preparing dosa
- Wash & soak rice for 4-5 hours.
- Peel off and deseed cucumber if using yellow ripe cucumber. Otherwise if cucumber is tender, use it right away. Grate it, add little salt and keep aside.
- Wash the soaked rice once and drain water. In grinder/ mixer grind rice along with chillies, ginger and salt to smooth paste.The water oozed from the cucumber gratings (if lot) can be added while grinding the rice. Consistency should be little thicker than neer dosa batter. Click here for the 'Neer dosa' recipe.
- To this batter, add cucumber gratings, chopped coriander leaves, curds, chopped onions and mix well.
- Heat a griddle on medium flame. Apply oil.
- Spread 1- 1½ ladle of batter on the heated griddle and cook covered. The dosa will be bit thicker.
- Apply ½ tsp of ghee and roast dosa inverted for few seconds. Serve hot with green chutney or any coconut chutney.
- Prepare dosa with fresh batter, or refrigerate the batter if using it later. Do not ferment it.
- Cooking both sides of dosa on medium flame until brown spots is very important.
- Paddu can also be prepared with this batter.
- Half of the cucumber can be used while grinding and remaining can be grated & mixed in the batter.
- Curd is optional.
- 2-3 tbsp grated coconut can also be added while grinding the batter.