This banana bread recipe is the simple and easy to make. It resembles more of any tea cake than bread! The number of ingredients used is very less. There are no eggs & no dairy products.The original recipe that I referred is from web. I altered the recipe according to my preferences and came up with my own version of it. This makes a very good teatime snack.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 35 minutes
Serves: 300-400gms of bread
Ripe Bananas (Medium) – 5, I used Robusta
Whole wheat flour – 1½ Cup
Fine Rava/ Small Semolina– ½ Cup
Sugar – ¾ Cup
Coconut oil/ ghee/ melted butter – ¼ cup
Nutmeg powder – ¼ tsp
Baking powder – ½ teaspoon
Baking soda – ½ teaspoon
Salt -1/4 teaspoon or a pinch
Chopped Nuts & Raisins – 2 tbsp
Breakfast Cereals – 1-2 tbsp (optional)
Lemon zest (of a big lemon) – 1 tsp (optional)
- Peel off and mash bananas well with your fingers. Grate the outer skin of a lemon (zest, only green/yellow skin) and add that to the banana.
- Add sugar and blend well to get a single mixture (puree) with a flat spoon or with a blender. Few small banana chunks are fine to have.
- Add coconut oil/ghee to the same and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, add wheat flour, small semolina, salt, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg powder and fold once.
- Add these dry ingredients to the banana mixture and mix well so that there are no lumps.
- Mix until all the ingredients blend well to form smooth dough.
- Add the chopped nuts and breakfast cereals to it and fold to spread evenly.
- Consistency should be as shown in the picture below or little more liquid is fine. Do not make dry than this.
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg Celsius.
- Grease a loaf pan or rectangular cake pan of size 8”x8”.
- Pour the mixture to this pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until inserted fork/ toothpick comes out clean. By then top of the bread becomes brown.
- It took 35 minutes in my oven.
- Once done, allow to cool down. Invert on a plain surface/ Plate/ wired rack. Slice and serve warm with tea/ milk.
- You can replace coconut oil with ghee/ melted butter.
- If batter becomes dry with less banana, you can add buttermilk/ curds to adjust the consistency.
- Addition of 2 tsp cocoa powder & choco chips enhances the taste & you will have a nice choco banana cake/bread.
- Do not open the oven before 20 minutes to check.
- If you are using a Pressure cooker to bake, bake without gasket & weight but with lid closed.
- Store left over bread refrigerated in an air tight container. Warm before every serving.