I had about 1 cup of custard powder which I wanted to finish. Then I searched for a baking recipe with it and found a recipe for cupcake. I altered with few ingredients and got a spongy yellow cake with the strong aroma of Vanilla. My 7 year old son relished this cake who doesn’t usually certify homemade food!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
Vanilla flavoured Custard powder – 1 cup
All-purpose flour/ Maida – 1 cup
Small semolina/ Fine rava - 2 tbsp
Milk – 1½ cup
Lemon juice – 2 tsp
Granulated Sugar – 1 cup
Baking powder – ½ tsp
Baking/ Cooking Soda – ½ tsp
Ghee / Melted butter – 2 tbsp
Chopped Almonds – 2tsp
- Take 1¼ cup of milk in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the 2tsp lemon juice and allow the milk curdling.
- Add sugar and ghee/ butter to the curdled milk and mix well until sugar dissolves and ghee blends well with it.
- Add all other dry ingredients maida, custard powder, semolina, baking powder and baking soda and mix well till it forms a smooth batter.
- Add chopped almonds and mix well.
- If it looks very solid, add ¼ cup more milk and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg Celsius.
- Pour the cake mix to already greased baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- Check inserting a fork or toothpick after 25 minutes. The cake is done when the fork comes out clean.
- When done, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and invert the cake to a flat surface.
- Serve warm plain cake or do a choice of frosting to it.