Beetroot is one good vegetable which is rich is iron and vitamins. It has attractive color that kids usually love. It is suitable to prepare curries as well as desserts such as halwa & kheer. Chutney is a main item to accompany most of the south Indian breakfast menu. So here I am with a recipe of beetroot chutney. Look here for more chutney recipes.
Note: It is suggested not to consume too much of beetroot if diabetic as it has high glycemic index.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Beetroot (Medium) – 1
Onion – 1
Garlic – 4-6 cloves
Grated Coconut – 4 tbsp
Red Chillis – 3
Tamarind Pulp - 1tsp
Salt to Taste
Mustard Seeds - 1tsp
Oil – 2 Spoons
Curry Leaves -1 -2 Strands
- Wash, peel & chop beetroot; keep aside.
- Peel onion and chop it as well.
- Heat a spoonful of oil in a pan.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, 2 red chillis, chopped beetroot and sauté until vegetables are tender.
- Add grated coconut to the same and heat for few seconds.
- Once done, switch of the stove and allow it to cool.
- In a grinder/ mixer jar, take fried items, tamarind & salt and grind to smooth paste.
- Transfer to the serving bowl.
- Season the chutney with mustard, red chilli & curry leaves in coconut oil.
- Serve with dosa or rice.