Turmeric is an essential spice found in every Indian kitchen. It is being used in curries and pickles either fresh or in dried form. It has amazing health benefits. It is gaining popularity worldwide because of the medicinal properties that it has.
The main component of turmeric is curcumin which has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial properties. It is believed that curcumin works in prevention & treatment of cancers and researches are on-going. Ayurveda mentions intake of turmeric in the treatment of cold & fever. It is suggested taking it with milk and pepper as researches say that curcumin absorption by the body is improved if it is consumed with fat and pepper. Here is the recipe for the version that I follow for this golden milk. I & my husband drink this milk every night and it helped me in preventing common cold & throat infection.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Milk – 1 Glass
Turmeric root (fresh/ dry) – ½ inch or Turmeric powder – a pinch
Pepper powder – a pinch
Sugar – ½ tsp (optional), which I don’t add.
- Take 1 glass of milk in a vessel.
- Scrape out outer skin of turmeric if you are using root. Add crushed turmeric root or a pinch of turmeric powder (if using powder) to the milk.
- Add black pepper powder to the same.
- Allow milk to boil. Switch off the stove.
- Strain the milk with a tea strainer.
- Serve hot golden milk.