This post is dedicated to my blog reader and good friend, Shwetha as this is her recipe. It was she who gave me the idea of using guavas in curries & chutney after reading my post on ‘Passion fruit – Guava – Chocolate cupcake’. Soon, I have tried this chutney recipe and it was really tasty. The natural sweetness of the guava fruit makes ‘mouth-watering chutney’ when combined with spices, coconut & tamarind. Thanks Shwetha!
Guava pieces – ¼ cup, matured but unripe guava is best to use
Grated coconut – ¼ cup
Ginger – ¼ inch piece
Green chillis – 1 or 2 (as per taste), you can also use dry red chilli instead green
Tamarind pulp – ¼ tsp
Salt – to taste
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Chop outer portion of Guava roughly removing most of the seeds. Few seeds are fine to be added.
- Combine these pieces with coconut, green chillis, ginger, tamarind and salt in a mixer and grind till you get a smooth paste. Transfer to the serving bowl.
- Seasoning: Heat coconut oil in a tadka pan. Add mustard & curry leaves. On spluttering add to chutney.
- Serve with dosa/ idli. It goes very well with neer dosa.
- Dry red chillies can be used instead of green chillies.
- Ginger can be avoided if using red chilli.