This is one of tasty dosas, Mangaloreans prepare. Kids love them as pancakes. The dosas go well with red coconut chutney.
Preparation time: 10-12 hours (Soaking & fermentation)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 12 dosas
Ripe banana/ Bale hannu – 8 (small)/ 4 (large)
Dosa rice – 4 cups
Urad dal – 2 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds/ methi – 1 tsp
Jaggery – 1 tbsp (optional), or can be increased if you like sweet dosa
Salt – to taste
Ghee / butter – for making dosas
- Wash and soak dosa rice, urad dal (black gram lentil) and fenugreek seeds for 6 hours.
- Peel ripe bananas. Grind them with soaked rice, dal & fenugreek seeds. Add salt and grated jaggery too while grinding. Do not add much water. Make a very smooth batter which should be thicker than normal dosa batter.
- Set aside the batter covered for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Now the step of dosa making: Heat a griddle (preferably iron griddle) on medium flame. Apply and spread little ghee or oil on the griddle. Mix the batter thoroughly with a ladle. Pour a ladleful of batter and prepare dosa by spreading it on the griddle. Cover the lid and cook for a minute. Apply ghee on top of the dosa and invert and cook until you see brown spots. Remove from the griddle and serve hot with chutney.
- Care should be taken to maintain medium flame while preparing dosa. This avoids burning of dosas as these sweet dosas chars fast.
- Dosas can be made thick or thin. Both taste good!