This snack is a traditional one, at the same time very tasty and favourite of many. This can be a perfect tea time snack or great accomplishment with Idli for breakfast. So I post the recipe of Vada which is favourite of my husband and my father!!
Preparation time: 6 hours (includes soaking time)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 12-15 vadas
Urad Dal/ Split black gram lentil – 1 cup
Green chillis – 2
Ginger – 1 inch
Curry leaves – 2 strands
Salt – to taste
Oil for frying
- Wash and soak urad dal for 6 hours.
- Grind soaked dal and ginger very well to make smooth paste. Do not add much water; batter should be of dropping consistency.
- Chop green chillis and curry leaves finely. Add these chopped chillis & curry leaves to the urad dal batter. Add salt and mix well.
- Pour oil to a wok and heat it up. To check the readiness of oil, add a pinch of batter to it which should float immediately.
- When oil is ready, take small balls of batter in your hand (about a spoonful of), drop to the hot oil carefully one by one. Fry until golden brown. Take out from oil by removing excess oil.
- Follow the step above until you finish the batter.
- Serve hot vada with chutney or sambar. You can also prepare Bonda Soup or Dahi Vada out of them.