Pomegranate is one of the healthiest fruits, which is loaded with nutrients. It is the greatest source of iron, vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Using the leaves & rind (peel) of pomegranate fruit as home medicine is not new to us. Tea or kashaya and tambuli of the rind are very helpful in fighting with diarrhea and other digestive system problems. Taking it for 10-15 days on daily basis soothes digestive system & helps it to come back to normal state. Recent researches show that pomegranate leaves & flowers are also beneficial as fruit. They work as powerful medicines for abdominal pain, diarrhea, skin health and even good for diabetics.
My daughter suffered from reoccurring stomach infection (vomiting & loose stools) in the period of last two months. It was then my sister who is an Ayurvedic practitioner suggested me to give the pomegranate leaves tambuli to my little one. I added two fresh flowers along with the tender leaves which was my husband’s idea!! Did not used any chilli & seasoning in the tambuli as it was prepared for a 2+ year old kid. So go through the recipe.
Preparation & cooking time: 10 mins
Pomegranate flower – 2-3
Tender leaves of pomegranate (Dalimbe Kudi) – 12-15
Grated fresh coconut – 2 tbsp
Cumin – ¼ tsp
Pepper/ chilli – to taste
Fresh curds or buttermilk – ½ cup
Ghee or oil – few drops to wilt the leaves & flower
- Pick fresh tender leaves clean & wash.
- Remove the petals & stamens of the flower to avoid bugs if any. Slit the flower into two halves and wash well in running water.
- Fry or wilt the leaves & flower with few drops of oil or ghee. Add the cumin seeds too while doing it.
- Grind these fried ingredients along with pepper, salt and grated coconut to smooth paste using a mixer.
- Add buttermilk & mix well. Seasoning with mustard seeds & oil can be done for better taste.
Note: It does not have bitter taste as the tambuli prepared using rind. So easy to feed kids!!