Sapodilla commonly referred as sapota or chikoo is a tropical ever green plant. Many varieties of these trees bear fruits throughout the year. The fruit works as energy provider known for its sweetness. These are great sources of vitamins, iron, and antioxidants and not to mention carbohydrates. The mature fruits usually ripen all together after harvesting. So other than eating as it is, one can prepare milkshake or rasayana/ fruit salad or even halwa as value addition. I am sharing the recipe of milkshake which makes a perfect summer treat with minimal ingredients and great for growing kids.
Preparation time: 10 minutes, if chilled milk is ready
Well ripe sapota fruits – 4
Sugar – 2 spoons (optional or adjust according to taste)
Cold milk – 2 glasses
- Wash chikoos/ sapota clean. Deseed or remove seeds & core associated with the seeds. Chop the fruits roughly.
- Take deseeded & chopped sapota in a juice jar of mixer. Add cold milk, sugar and blend well to get smooth milkshake.
- Transfer to serving glass, serve fresh and chilled (with ice cubes if prefered).
- It tastes great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Serve fresh, ideal for any milkshake.
- You can apply a tsp of cooking oil to the mixer jar before adding sapotas in order to avoid sticking of the wax to the sides. This happens only with few varieties.
- For diabetics, it is better to consume little by monitoring glucose level.