This tangy and tasty rice recipe is a must try in summer. It is easy to make, quick and a great option for lunch or dinner. Kids enjoy even after evening play time!
It tastes best if prepared with Totapuri/ Ginimoothi mango. To note, there are different methods one can prepare this rice and here I am sharing my way of doing it.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Grated Raw Mango – ½ cup, Preferred Totapuri
White rice – 2 cups
Salt – to taste
Green chillis – 2
Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Dry red chilli- 1
Gram dal – 1 tsp
Peanuts – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 1 tsp (optional)
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp (optional), for garnishing
Coriander leaves/ Curry leaves – For garnishing
- Wash and pressure cook rice following regular method. Usually it requires 1:2 (rice:water) and 3 whistles. Set aside.
- Grate mango (along with skin) and keep it ready. Peel off the skin if using any variety with bitter skin.
- Prepare seasoning/ tadka: Heat a wok/ pan. Add oil, gram dal, Peanuts, Mustard and red chilli pieces. On spluttering, add curry leaves.
- Add grated mango and fry for 2 minutes sautéing in between. Add salt and sugar, mix. Switch off the stove.
- Add cooked rice and mix well. Garnish with grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot.