King of fruits/ Mango season is about to end and if you haven’t tried using raw mango in much of cooking, then here is a simplest recipe. It is very own of Dakshina Kannada/ Mangalore and goes great with kuchilu ganji & tuppa (ghee). This recipe is a without fire cooking except a simple seasoning requires fire! Please try this out with totapuri/ ginimoothi variety of mango which has the balanced taste of tanginess & sweetness! Even other varieties work fine for this. Thanks to my sister in law Vinaya, who suggested this quickest recipe to me!!
Mango works as a great appetizer and calls for more rice especially when used raw or wild ripe mango. The tanginess makes you hungrier and your sense of taste improves. Check for Raw mango rice/ Mavinakai chitranna recipe here.
There is a saying ‘Coconut for Mango, Ginger for Jackfruit’. This is just because coconut balances the acidic nature of mango & ginger is helps in digestion of jackfruit. Today’s recipe is a blend of mango & coconut with some basic spices. This is a variant of tambuli! Minimum ingredients & maximum taste! Go for it when you don’t feel like cooking big but want to have a tasty & light lunch.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Raw Mango (any) pieces – ¼ cup, suggested tender Totapuri
Grated fresh coconut – ¼ - ½ cup
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Dry Red chillis -2
Salt – to taste
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Wash & chop the mango roughly discarding the seed. Skin can be added if non bitter variety.
- Fry red chillis in few drops of oil till they become crispy.
- Now take chopped mango, grated coconut, fried chillis & mustard seeds in a mixer jar. Grind all together to smooth paste adding salt & required water.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; adjust to the required consistency adding water.
- Prepare a seasoning of curry leaves in oil & add to the gravy.
- Serve with (red) rice & any vegetable stir fry.