This particular salad is nutritionally very rich with multiple flavours depending on the vegetables or fruits you use. It works as a great appetizer with the tangy, sweet & spicy taste which sharpens the taste buds. Health benefits are numerous.
Now you may get a question, what is Pomelo? Yes, it is not very common name which we hear on regular basis. Pomelo or Chinese grapefruit is native to South Asia. It is largest variety in citrus family resembling grapefruit in size. Dudlu Huli / Dodda huli (Kannada) found in Dakshina Kannada & Mangalore region is a variety of pomelo, which usually tastes tangy (tart) and mostly used in pickle making. It goes well in the making of lemon rice & juice preparation.Fruit size is about 3 times a normal orange.
Now let’s come back to the topic of making the salad.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Pomelo/ Dudlu huli segments – 2, or 2-3 tbsp flesh on shredding
Freshly grated coconut – ¼ cup
Peanuts – 2 tbsp
Onion – 1 (medium)
Garlic cloves – 2-3
Shredded Cabbage – ½ cup, or any other vegetable can be used
Pomegranate seeds – 3-4 tbsp (any fruit of choice like fresh grapes can be added for sweetness)
Raisins – 1 tsp
Cashews & almonds – few (optional)
Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves – few strands
Green chilli – 1 (chopped) or Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
- Peel the pomelo (citrus fruit), collect 2 segments. Tear the membrane and get only juicy flesh. Discard the skin & seeds. Shred the fruit with fingers and keep aside.
- Peel garlic, crush & chop fine. It can be used raw or fried if you don’t like the raw smell.
- Peel Onion, wash and slice lengthwise or chop.
- Fry peanuts with ¼ tsp of oil and keep aside.
- Fry onions until brown.
- Roast cashews & almonds.
- In a large salad bowl, combine oil, red chilli powder or chopped green chilli. Add chopped garlic, mix. Now add all the ingredients one by one starting from cabbage (vegetable), fruit pomegranate, coconut gratings, fried onions & peanuts.
- Add shredded pomelo, torn coriander leaves and salt. Mix well.
- Top with the raisins & roasted nuts.