Jackfruit is one such fruit which can be used in many ways. Recently state government of Kerala has recognized it as state fruit of Kerala. It is highly used in the Malnad & Coastal area of Karnataka. We start using them from the initial tender stage till the ripe fruit. It goes well in curries, desserts, main breakfast dishes like dosa (both raw and ripe), kadubu and more.
Jackfruit seeds are not any less in nutrients and uses. They are great sources of protein and other nutrients. The seeds go well in both sweet and spicy dishes. Our ancestors used to preserve the jack seeds by covering them with mud and store them dried for 8-10 months or until next season in place.
Recently a relative shared the recipe of jack seed burfi to me and since then I wanted to give a try. After few days I got fresh seeds and did not want to wait more. The result was this amazing tasty chocolate flavored halwa or you can name it burfi as well. It makes you ask for a second serving for sure when served hot. This version was with chocolate flavor because I had bourn vita powder in my pantry which I wanted to finish off and added that while making the sweet. The taste resembles that of Moong dal halwa.
Check for the recipe of jackfruit seed stew/ rasam and Sessile Joyweed – Jackfruit seed curry/ Honegonne – Halasina beeja sambhar.
Preparation & cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 300 grams halwa
Jackfruit Seeds – 2 cups
Sugar – 1 cup or little more, adjust according to taste
Water – ½ cup
Ghee – 8 tsp
Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
Bourn vita powder – ¼ cup (optional), you can leave this or add 2 tsp cocoa powder
Salt – ¼ tsp
- Wash the jackfruit seeds, pressure cook with water and salt. You may require 4 cups of water and 4-5 whistles.
- Once pressure released, peel the seeds and dry grind in a mixer. Coarse powder is fine as it is already cooked.
- Take about 4 tsp of ghee in a thick bottomed wok/ pan, heat. Add ground jackfruit seed powder. Stir in order to mix with ghee.
- Now dissolve bourn vita powder in ½ cup of hot water and add to the jack seed mix. If using cocoa powder, then dissolve it in normal water.
- Stir continuously for 2-3 minutes and add 1 cup sugar and mix well.
- Add more sugar if you feel it needs more.
- Add remaining ghee, cardamom powder and sauté well until the mixture forms single mass leaving the sides of the wok.
- Transfer to a greased tray and pat on the top with a flat spoon to spread evenly.
- When it cools a lit you can cut to the desired shape.
- Serve this sweet warm.
- Cocoa/ bourn vita powder is just an optional ingredient.
- You can add grated coconut as well.