Sandalwood tree is an evergreen tropical tree known for its fragrant wood. The oil/ extract of sandalwood have many health benefits, which is also a great beauty ingredient. The tree is attractive with its green leaves which can be used in cooking. I always prefer to use the greens available around us as they are organic & pesticide free. It is always suggested over store bought green leaves if you are a regular consumer. There are many such options like sandalwood leaves (easy to find out if living in Bangalore/ Mysore), Vitamin leaves/ Elevarige, Nelabasale, Brahmi/ centella which are easy to grow. Look for the recipe of sandalwood leaves tambuli which I have posted earlier. Also click 'Sandalwood for infant colic and cold' to know about using sandalwood extract as remedy for colic & cold.
Now let us come back to see how to do chutney!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Sandalwood leaves – ½ cup, tender the better
Grated fresh coconut – ¼ cup
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Red chillis – 2, adjust as per taste
Tamarind – a small piece/ ½ tsp extract
Salt – to taste
Coconut/ cooking oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
Curry leaves – 5-6 leaves (optional)
- Wash sandalwood leaves clean.
- In a heated pan, add urad dal, red chillis and few drops of oil. Fry them until dal turns to golden brown and you get nice aroma. Add cleaned leaves to the same pan and fry sautéing until wilted.
- Now take grated coconut, fried ingredients, tamarind & salt in a mixer jar and grind to smooth paste.
- Prepare a seasoning of mustard seeds & curry leaves in oil and add to the chutney.
- Healthy green chutney is ready to serve with dosa or cooked rice with a spoon of ghee.