Indian gooseberry or bettada nellikai, power house of goodness! True, it is. It is loaded with Vitamin B, Vitamin C, minerals... If you are a follower of natural remedies then you must have this ingredient in your pantry in any of form. It can be nelli hindi, salted amla, juice or nelli sattu. It is worth having and trying this wonder fruit which works as a great digestive aid. Consuming amla/ nellikai is a best medicine for diarrhoea and indigestion. It helps in food absorption by intestine. It is good for mouth ulcers as it contains good amount of Vitamin B. Using Amla on regular basic benefits hugely on hair and skin health. Other than eating it raw, it can be used in variety of dishes such as tambuli, chutney, gojju, pickle & saaru. Here you find the recipe for tambuli/ tambli.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Indian gooseberry/ amla/ Bettada Nellikai – 1 (cultivated), 3-4 if using wild
Grated fresh coconut – ¼ cup
Salt - to taste
Fresh buttermilk/ curds – 1 cup
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Dry red chilli – 1
Black Pepper - 6
- Chop amla/ nellikai roughly, discarding the seed.
- Grind chopped amla, grated coconut, salt & pepper to smooth paste adding little water as needed.
- Transfer to a bowl, add buttermilk or curds.
- Prepare a seasoning of mustard, red chilli and curry leaves in oil and add it to the tambli.
- Serve fresh tambli with rice and other side dish.