Moringa/ Drumstick (Nugge in kannada) plant is one useful plant almost all the parts of which is consumable. Recently I have posted Moringa leaves Chutney powder recipe. Today it is Savoury multigrain moringa bread which makes a great & healthy breakfast. This bread is rich in protein, carbohydrate, iron, vitamins, minerls & fibre. This has all the goodness of Drumstick leaves, multiple grains (Jowar, Ragi & wheat) flavoured with Cumin & garlic!
Click for Dill Multigrain Dark savory bread recipe. Other recipes of drumstick leaves are Mudde palya, Drumstick leaves Chutney powder, Moringa & Curry leaves rice. Also click to find Drumstick flower Mudde palya recipe.
Preparation Time: 2 hours
Baking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 400 grams bread
Jowar flour – ½ cup
Ragi/ finger millet flour – ½ cup
Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
Maida/ white flour – 1.5 cup
Drumstick/ Moringa leaves – 2 cups (tightly packed), Washed and dried with a towel
Dry active yeast – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Milk – ¼ cup
Water – ¼ cup
Buttermilk – ¼ cup
Salt – ¼ tsp
Baking soda – ½ tsp
Cumin/Jeera seeds – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – ½-1 tsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp + for greasing
White sesame/ til/ Ellu – 1 tsp (Optional)
Ground nuts/ peanuts – 2 tbsp (optional)
Garlic pods – 6-8
Step 1: Preparing yeast
- Take lukewarm water, add 1 tsp sugar and dissolve. Sprinkle dry yeast from top and stir vigorously to mix well. Set aside for 5 minutes and allow yeast proofing. (Or follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.)
- The solution should be cloudy and frothy after five minutes. If not, discard and prepare again.
Step 2: Preparing dough and allow rising
- Chop cleaned Drumstick leave fine.
- Peel and finely chop garlic pods.
- Crush cumin seeds in a mortar & pestle (or gundu kallu). You need not make fine powder.
- Crush peanuts roughly or churn once in a dry jar of mixer to get a coarse powder. Keep aside
- Take the prepared active yeast solution (step 1) in a wide mixing bowl. Add Milk and buttermilk.
- Add the chopped moringa leaves & flours one by one. Add baking soda, salt, chopped garlic & crushed cumin seeds on top of the flour. Combine all well and knead to prepare soft dough by adding oil or ghee. Sprinkle water if it looks too dry while kneading the dough.
- If it is too sticky, add little flour. Set aside for an hour, covering the bowl with clean & wet kitchen towel.
- The dough will rise and become almost double the initial size after an hour.
Step 3: Baking
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius. Dust the loaf pan or baking tray with a tsp of flour.
- Press and knead the dough lightly on a floured surface once again. Roll over white sesame seeds and powdered peanuts, so that whole bread is covered by it from outside. You can use any method below (1) or (2)
- If using loaf pan: Place the dough in a loaf pan and bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until the color becomes brown and bread becomes harder from outside & inserted fork comes out clean.
- If you are using a cake tray and not loaf pan (which I used): Divide the dough into two portions and bring each of them to two loaf shapes. Place them in the tray side by side leaving little space in between and sides. Bake for 25 minutes or until done as instructed in (1)
- Allow the bread to cool as it is after baking. Slice and serve warm with any spread or plain. The flavored bread tastes great with mayonnaise/sauce.