Let me wish you a very happy Friendship day 2018.
I am sharing a simple & healthy Paratha/ chapathi using Spinach or Palak. As any other green leafy vegetable, spinach is rich in iron, vitamins, minerals & fibre. Using them in the pureed form while preparing dough is great idea to feed it to the one dislikes it. Here you find a recipe to prepare chapathi with it. It tastes great with any side dish, curds & pickles or even a simple veg roll can be prepared. My son likes it as cheesy corn roll.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 16-18 medium Chapathis
Palak leaves – 2 cups (tightly packed)
Wheat flour – 2 cups
Ghee – 1 tbsp (for dough) & additional for cooking parathas
Salt – to taste
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp (adjust to taste)
Carom seeds/ ajwain/ om kalu- ½ tsp or little more
Jaggery powder – 1-2 tsp (optional)
- Clean, wash palak leaves and drain water completely.
- Roughly chop the cleaned leaves and boil with little water (Just sprinkling is sufficient). Switch off the stove and allow cooling.
- Puree the boiled greens in a mixer. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add Wheat flour, carom seeds, chilli powder and jaggery to the palak puree. Add salt and ghee.
- Knead the above ingredients well to get smooth and soft dough (like regular chapathi dough). Add little flour if dough is sticky or sprinkle water if too dry.
- Set aside for minimum half an hour for better result.
- Now, divide the dough into equal sized balls of large lemon size, roll to prepare chapathis applying flour as & when required.
- Heat the iron griddle or tava.
- Apply little oil on the griddle & place the rolled chapathi. Cook both sides of chapathi by flipping in between. Apply ghee on both sides of chapathi. It is done when you see small brown spots on both sides.
- Prepare all the chapathis & store in a hot box.
- Serve with your choice of gravy or stir fry. It makes a healthy breakfast/ lunch or dinner.