I personally love this fruit very much. It is a nutritious fruit with that mild flavour and at time it fills stomach if you eat one or two. It tastes awesome with salt and chilli powder sprinkled if you love spicy food. You can find them in lots during the season if you live in Bangalore. Street vendors & super markets sell them throughout the season.
Guava or Seebe (kannada) works great in baking, juice, Halwa & chutney. Look for my recipe of EgglessPassion fruit, Guava & Chocolate cupcake.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 30-35 minutes
Guava puree (pulp) – 1½ cup, 3-4 ripe guavas
Fresh Curds or (curd+ milk) – ½ cup
Sugar – 1¼ cup
Maida/ Plain flour – 1¼ cup
Fine semolina/ chiroti rava – ½ cup
Baking soda – ½ tsp
Baking powder – ½ tsp
Salt – a pinch
Nutmeg powder – ½ tsp
Cocoa powder – 1 tsp
Ghee/ butter - ¼ cup
Lemon juice & zest – of 1 lemon
- Wash guavas, chop roughly and boil with ½ cup water.
- Allow cooling and blend using a juice making mixer jar. Extract only the juice using a juice strainer. Discard the seeds. You can add little water if needed to extract the juice completely.
- Take the above guava puree in a wide mixing bowl.
- Add curds, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar to it. Mix well with a spatula.
- Add ghee and mix by stirring with the spatula.
- Now add dry ingredients one by one starting with fine semolina, give a quick mix so that it soaks in wet ingredient.
- Add maida or plain flour, cocoa powder, salt, nutmeg powder, baking soda & baking powder. Mix properly so that no lumps formed. Also all the ingredients should combine well.
- Set aside for two minutes.
- Grease a baking tin with a tsp of ghee/ butter.
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg Celsius.
- Pour the prepared cake batter into the greased tray. Bake it for 30-35 minutes in preheated oven (cooker) or until inserted fork comes clean.
- It took exactly 32 minutes for me.
- Allow the cake cooling and unmould from the baking tin. Cut and serve warm cake with tea/ milk.
- It is important to remove the guava seeds from puree completely.
- Baking time changes from oven to oven. So keep monitoring after 25 minutes of baking.
- You can bake using a cooker without weight.
- It is preferred to use ripe guavas.
- Warm it before every serving if you refrigerate the cake.