I have already posted gooseberry tambuli recipe. Gooseberry/ amla/ nellikai is a greatest digestive aid which cures many problems associated with digestive system. It is believed that the C vitamin in gooseberry remains even after boiling. Today’s post is nellikai saaru which works as appetizer and makes your meal tasty.
This is a quick recipe too when there is very less time to cook. Very helpful recipe during sickness & tastelessness of tongue due to sickness!
Preparation & cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Gooseberry/ bettada nellikai – 3-4
Jaggery – lemon sized
Salt – to taste
Green chilli – 1
Chilli powder – ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Garlic flakes – 4-6 (optional), peeled & crushed
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – for garnishing (optional )
- Wash gooseberries and boil with a cup of water until tender (with seeds). Allow cooling.
- Now, mash cooked gooseberries with fingers & remove & discard seeds.
- Add required water to this pulp, slit green chilli salt, jaggery, turmeric & chilli powder and bring to boil. Switch off the heat when it boils well.
- Prepare a seasoning of mustard, crushed garlic & curry leaves in oil and add it to the stew/ saaru. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve this rasam hot with rice & palya or as soup.