Hey, what do you do with raw banana? Do you prepare and like curries made from raw banana. We in coastal & malnad region, make a variety of dishes from it. Baing rich in starch, it really works well in sambhar, majjige huli, palya, chips, dosa, bajji, etc…
I need not mention about the uses of ripe bananas. If you are looking for any recipe of ripe banana then here are few! Here you find links for Mangalore buns, Ripe banana Soup, Banana Payasa/ prathama, Banana bread, balehannudosa, banana muffins, rasayana, banana-papaya smoothie.
Today’s post is a Gravy/ dal with raw banana which is quick to make and very tasty.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 – 30 minutes
Hyacinth dal – ¾ cup, you can use Tur dal if you don’t get hyacinth dal
Raw Banana – 2 (1 cup cut pieces)
Onion – 1 (optional)
Garam masala – ½ tsp
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp, adjust to taste
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Coriander powder – ½ tsp
Tamarind – small gooseberry sized
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Dry red chilli -1
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Wash dal & pressure cook until soft with enough water. It usually takes 4-5 whistles to cook. Allow pressure to settle down.
- Peel the bananas just to remove outer fibre and cut into desired shape & size. It is preferred slice & cut to cook fast. Take these pieces covered in water in a vessel. Set aside.
- Peel off onions & chop it.
- Soak tamarind in water and keep aside.
- Now heat a pan/ wok. Add oil, cumin, mustard seeds and cut red chilli. On spluttering, add curry leaves.
- Add onions and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped banana pieces and sauté once.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Fry it till bananas turn soft.
- Add garam masala and mix well.
- Add tamarind paste when banana is cooked properly.
- Add cooked dal and boil well. Adjust the consistency by adding required water.
- Serve hot with chapathi, poori or rice.
Post a Comment