It happens sometimes, that you haven’t planned for lunch box & you are running out of time. Then the quick fix usually will be lemon rice or puliogare if you are a rice eater. If you want to make your rice bit healthier & nutritionally rice then here is a recipe. It works great if you are looking for an easy rice recipe for a small gathering or for a lazy lunch too. You can have it as it is or with tomato sauce or even with curds & pickles.
It is flavourful & rich with dry fruits & simple spices. I need not tell about carrot which is one great vegetable, nutritionally rich.
Preparation time: 20 - 30 minutes
Regular white Rice/ Basmati rice – 1 cup
Carrot – 1 large/ 2 medium
Onion – 1 (medium)
Pepper powder - ½ tsp
Cardamom – 3
Cloves - 2
Star anise – 1 piece (optional)
Salt – to taste
Sugar – 1 tsp
Ghee/ butter – 2 tbsp
Dry fruits of choice – 2 tbsp (roasted), I prefer bits of cashews & raisins
Coriander/ curry leaves – for garnishing
- Wash and cook rice using your regular method. Add salt while cooking rice.
- Wash carrots, peel off and grate. Keep this aside.
- Peel onions, wash and chop or slice thinly, keep it separately.
- Heat ghee/ butter in a wok or pan. Add crushed whole cardamoms, cloves & star anise. Sauté once.
- Add chopped onions, fry until translucent.
- Add grated carrots, sprinkle little salt to taste & pepper powder. Sauté and cook carrots on medium flame. It will take 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle sugar.
- Mix cooked rice well. Add roasted nuts/ dry fruits.
- Garnish with chopped coriander/ curry leaves.
- Serve hot or pack in lunch box.
- This rice tastes great even without onions.
- Your choice of spices can be added while making it.
- Green chillis can be used if you like spicy!