Jeerige bendi, (translation would be Cumin curry) is a coastal Karnataka dish belongs to particular community. It is very less spiced and mildly sweet gravy which goes well with Rice (especially brown rice). It is a better way to feed vegetables to toddlers or kids as it is not hot (not spicy).
Vegetables like Ridge gourd, bottle gourd, Snake gourd or Yellow cucumber suit best to make this curry. I am sharing the recipe today with ridge gourd or heere kai. This is a simple side dish. The ridge gourd peel removed from the veggie can be used to make delicious chutney instead throwing it. Look for the recipe of 'Ridge gourd peel chutney'.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Ridge gourd/ Heere kai – 2
Grated fresh coconut – ½ cup
Cumin seeds/ jeera/ Jeerige – 1 tsp
Dry red chilli – 1
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp (optional)
Salt - to taste
Jaggery – 2 tsp
Coconut oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Wash ridge gourds, peel and remove outermost skin. Cut into about ½ inch pieces. Direction to cut: Slit ridge gourd lengthwise (4) first, then chop into chunks.
- Cook the chopped gourds with very little water (¼ cup) as ridge gourd leaves water on boiling. Add salt, jaggery and chilli powder (optional) while cooking.
- Grind grated coconut, raw cumin seeds and dry red chilli (optional) into smooth paste.
- When vegetable is cooked, add the coconut paste. Boil well.
- Prepare a seasoning of oil, mustard & curry leaves, add it to the curry.
- Serve curry hot with steamed rice and a dollop of ghee.
- Red chilli can be avoided while grinding to reduce the spice level (if feeding babies), instead it can be used in seasoning.
- Ridge gourd can be replaced with vegetables like bottle gourd/ snake gourd. Or a combination of ridge gourd & snake gourd can be used.
Thank you for stopping by. If you like this blog & recipes, follow blog 'Sahaja Siri' for future updates. Share the recipe links on social media. Also visit my Facebook page 'sahajaisiri' and instagram account Nisha@sahajaisiri! Thanks in advance.