This is a wholesome Roti/ paratha, which is not too hard to make! As I normally avoid making stuffed parathas as I am not good in making them. This has the goodness wheat & richness of lentils/ dhal. It works great as breakfast/ dinner which is nutritionally rich. You can have it with curds & choice of pickles if you make it bit spicier. Hence you have reduced work of making side dish.
You can choose lentil of choice like mung or tur dal. Now let us come to the making part. I am sharing the recipe which I did using moong dal & moringa powder. Check for the recipe of Moringa Chutneypowder here.
Here, you can find the recipes & ideas for Roti/Chapathi/ Flat bread.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 15- 16 rotis
Wheat flour – 2 cups
Cooked mung dal/ split moong bean – 1 cup, tur dal can also be used
Salt – to taste
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Carom seeds/ ajwain/ Om kalu – ½ tsp
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
Moringa chutney powder – 2 tbsp (optional)
Ghee – for frying parathas
- Wash and cook dal (moong dal is used) in a pressure cooker with water. Allow pressure to settle down.
- When pressure is released, allow bit cooling. Mash the dal with fingers.
- Now add wheat flour, salt, chilli powder, ajwain (carom seeds), moringa powder (chutney powder) and 2 tbsp ghee to the mashed dal. Mix well and knead into soft roti dough.
- Adjust the dough by adding water/ flour as required.
- Keep aside for at least 15 minutes covering the dough.
- Now divide the dough into equal sized balls of small orange size. Roll over to make rotis of medium thickness by applying flour when it sticks.
- Cook (fry) these rotis on a tava by flipping frequently. Apply ghee on both sides while cooking. It is done when you observe brown spots on both sides.
- Store the rotis in a casserole. Serve hot with curds & pickles or with the preferred side dish.
- Split pigeon peas (tur dal) or split mung (moong dal) can be used to make this.
- Adjust the spice level to your requirement.
- Moringa powder is an optional ingredient.
- You can add any chopped herb for the flavour.