Dates/ Karjoora - popular dry fruit which is easy to use. I can say it is one of the richest dry fruits when talking about nutrients! They are greatest source of dietary fibre, vitamins, minerals and carbohydrates. It is low in fat. It is beneficial in treating anaemia and also works as immunity booster as it is rich in antioxidants. Most of the calories come from carbohydrates and it is low in protein, hence diabetics are usually suggested to avoid dates.
Today I am sharing the recipe of dates milkshake which is easy to make yet very healthy and works as an energy drink. It requires very less/ no sugar as it itself works as a natural sweetener. It is a perfect drink for kids/ toddlers and sports persons. It is best to start your day with this healthy drink. Other than milkshake, Dates go well in kheer, halwa and other desserts.
Preparation time: 1 hour (includes soaking time)
Dates – 8-10 (nos)
Chilled milk/ coconut milk – 2 glasses
Jaggery powder – 2 tsp (optional)
- Remove the hard seeds of dates (if not using seedless). Chop roughly and soak in half glass of milk for an hour.
- Take the soaked dates in a mixer juice making jar. Add jaggery powder and blend well to make smooth paste. Few chunks of dates are ok to have which enriches the taste.
- Now add remaining 1.5 glasses of milk (chilled) churn once or twice to combine well.
- Transfer to the serving glass and serve chilled with added ice cubes if required.
- Sugar can be used instead jaggery powder.
- Jaggery can be avoided to make it healthier as it naturally tastes sweet.
- You can make it vegan by using Coconut milk/ almond milk instead milk.
- This smoothie or milkshake can be refrigerated for few hours and served.
- Roasted & chopped nuts can be added on top while serving to enhance the taste.