Though turmeric rhizomes can be harvested anytime during an year winter is the best season to harvest and use them. Turmeric/Curcuma/ Haldi is a well-known healthy spice belongs to Ginger family. Other than using them in curries & pickles as flavouring agent or as dye, you can also consume it as main ingredient in chutney & tambuli! The medicinal benefits of this spice/ root herb are really big. It works as anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and has great influence in treating cold and related issues. It is also helps to improve skin health. Read my post on Turmeric/ Golden milk for the recipe & health benefits.
Let us now come to the recipe of Turmeric Tambuli which is a malenadu recipe belong to a particular community. Tambuli as name says a perfect coolant and it is best to hydrate oneself and also works as a probiotic drink. Check for other tambuli recipes here.
Preparation time: 10 minutes (max)
Fresh Turmeric root/ rhizome – ¼ inch piece
Freshly grated coconut – 3 tbsp
Buttermilk/ curds – ½ cup
Pepper corns – 10, adjust to the spice level required. You can also use 1-2 green chillis.
Salt - to taste
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Dry red chilli - 1
- Wash and clean turmeric root, chop roughly.
- Take chopped root, grated coconut, salt and pepper in a mixer jar and grind to make smooth paste adding little water.
- Transfer to the serving bowl. Add buttermilk/ curds, mix very well. Adjust the consistency by adding water. Tambuli will not be of very thick consistency.
- Prepare a seasoning/ tadka with oil, mustard and minced dry red chilli. On spluttering add cleaned curry leaves and add that to the tambuli.
- Serve the tambuli with steamed hot rice and other side dish/ palya.
- Replace turmeric root by mango ginger or ginger to make the ginger tambuli or mango ginger tambuli. No need of pepper for the ginger tambuli as it is spicy by itself.
Post a Comment