Pudding / jellies are definitely a favorite of many, especially kids. It is very simple to make with fewer ingredients. You can try milk pudding or other fruit based puddings. China grass or agar agar is plant based gelling agent which makes a good vegetarian alternative for gelatin (animal based gelling agent). Now let us look at the making part!
Setting time: 2- 3 hours
Serves: 16-20 small pieces
China grass/ agar agar – 7.5 - 8 grams, little more than ¾ th of 10 grams bar
Milk – 1.5 cup
Water – ¾ cup
Sugar – ¾ cup
Chopped dry fruits/ nuts – 2 tbsp (cashews, almonds, pistachios)
Grated milk chocolate – 1 tsp (optional)
- Cut china grass bar into pieces and soak in ¾ cup water. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Now, take milk and sugar in a vessel. Boil well until sugar is dissolved. Switch off the heat.
- Boil soaked china grass water until it dissolved completely and you get clear water like liquid.
- Mix boiled china grass liquid with boiled milk & sugar mix.
- Boil well once stirring this mix, switch off the heat.
- Pour the mixture into a baking tray or desired mold and keep aside untouched.
- It starts setting in few minutes when the hot liquid reaches room temperature.
- Now sprinkle finely chopped nuts and grated chocolate on top of the pudding which stays on top. Let it set for few more minutes.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours, cut into desired shape before serving.
- Remember to serve immediately after taking out of refrigerator. It starts releasing water if you keep outside refrigerator for more time.
- Quantity of china grass is important. It does not set properly if you reduce it . I tried with 5-6 grams for this measure of milk, which did not come out well.
- Dry fruits/ nuts and chocolate powder are optional, to enhance the taste of pudding.
- Serving chilled is really important as it starts leaving water outside the refrigerator.