Appe huli or appe saaru is a type of stew / appetizer from Uttara Kannada! This tangy & spicy drink is commonly prepared with mango if in season or with preserved mangoes. This name is because of a special mango variety called apppe midi. Occasionally they are made with lemons/ citron or tamarind…This drink is served as appetizer during any festive meal.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves: 6 cups
Raw tamarind (big) – 1
Green chillis - 2, adjust to taste
Salt – 1 tsp, adjust as you like
Asafoetida – ¼ tsp (powder)
Coconut oil – 2 tsp
Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Scrape out outermost brown skin and wash tamarind well. Need not peel thick.
- Chop it roughly and remove bigger seeds if any. Tender seeds are ok to have.
- Take tamarind, green chillis in a mixer jar, grind to smooth paste adding water as required.
- Transfer to a vessel, add enough water to dilute. This drink should not be too thick, instead it should be runny.
- Add salt, asafoetida & boil well. Switch off the stove.
- Prepare a seasoning of mustard, cumin, pinch of asafoetida & curry leaves in oil. On spluttering, add to appe huli. Serve hot & flavorful saaru to drink.