Eggfruit / Canistel which is also known as cupcake fruit is a tropical evergreen tree native to Mexico, Guatemala and grown in countries such as India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Srilanka and so on… Scientific name: Pouteria campechiana (Wikipedia).
It was not known to us until recent years and this
fruit is not liked by many. Though it belongs to the family Sapotaceae, the
fruit doesn’t taste like Sapota. It has the texture of boiled egg yolk or
pumpkin when ripen fully. The matured fruit has astringent property similar to
that of raw sapota. The attractive dark orange colored fruits turn very soft this
is the perfect time to eat. Shape and size varies largely.
Though I have been eating this fruit for few years now, I couldn’t try out many dishes so far other than milkshake. As I got few fruits from my father’s farm this season (June - August) I was browsing for recipe ideas though I had some in mind. I tried pancake, cake, milkshake this time. I stored pulp of fruit in deep freezer as I read it can be stored up to 3 months if kept in airtight container.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Egg fruit pulp – 2-3 tbsp (fresh or frozen)
Chilled Milk – 1¾ glass
Jaggery powder – 2-3 tsp (adjust as per your taste)
Cocoa powder (unsweetened) – ½ tsp (optional)
- Choose well ripe egg fruit, scoop out the pulp discarding skin and seed.
- Take 2-3 tbsp fruit pulp, add remaining ingredients in a juice jar of mixie.
- Blend everything well to make a smooth milkshake or smoothie.
- Transfer to a serving glass and serve chilled. Optionally you can add ice cubes while serving.
- You can make another version of milkshake with milk sugar and egg fruit.
- You can optionally add roasted chunks of nuts (almond, cashew) on top of the milkshake/ smoothie for enhanced taste.
- While eating egg fruit, make sure you are choosing ripe ones.