Jam/ murabba/ marmalade is nothing but sweet preserve of any fruit, wherein marmalade made with mostly citrus fruits as per my understanding. When you have any fruit which is sour and also has hint of bitterness then it can be a right one to make jam. So star fruit is a sweet & sour fruit, the variety which I have is sweet variety. Jam can be made with this fruit alone with added sugar as per liking.
I have another special fruit named Surinam cherry in my backyard which has a distinct taste which goes great in jams too. I have shared the recipe already, click here to read & try Surinam cherry jam.
This time, I tried making jam of star fruit with Surinam cherries. It turned out to be excellent in taste & color. It is going to be a topper in your menu because of the looks. So I thought of sharing this as last post of this year.
Dear Reader, Wish you a very Happy New Year 2023.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 200 grams jam
Star fruits – 4 (about 2 cups chopped fruit)
Ripe Surinam cherry/ Pitanga berries – 10-12
Sugar – 1.25 cups
Cinnamon powder – ¼ tsp (optional)
Salt – a pinch
- Wash the star fruits clean and chop roughly. Remove seeds as much as possible.
- Pick and wash cherries. Remove seeds. It can be done with fingers as the fruits are very delicate.
- Using a blender/ mixer, churn once just to blend everything together.
- Take this pureed fruits in a thick bottomed wok/ pan.
- Add sugar & salt. Heat it on a medium flame.
- Keep stirring occasionally. Initially it leaves water, and becomes mushy as it starts boiling.
- Add cinnamon powder.
- Keep stirring until it forms a single thick mass of jam consistency. It takes just nearly 20 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and transfer to a glass jar when cools down.
- Spread on bread & serve. Store the jam in refrigerator for better life.
- You can use this method to make mixed fruit jam, pineapple jam etc..
- Storing in refrigerator helps to keep the jam longer unspoiled.
- If you have no Surinam cherry, no worries & you can make this jam with only starfruit. Recommended to add 1-2 tsp of lemon juice (for sweet variety star fruit).
Post a Comment