Kochu salli/ Mullusouthe kocchu salli is Havyaka version of raita. This is also called as hasi in Malenadu region. This delicious salad is made by mixing grated cucumbers in coconut & mustard paste & little buttermilk. This reduces body heat, gut friendly as loaded with dietary fibre & contains curds / buttermilk. This tastes great when served fresh and can be stored in refrigerator for few hours.
This is a very common dish prepared during monsoon season in Coastal Karnataka as that is when people grow cucumbers there. Try this recipe and share your comments with me. This is easy to make & #fireless.
This goes well with Boiled rice/ Kuchilakki anna, rice items and even with chapathi (I like with little chutney powder).
Check out my recipe of Snake gourd raita/ kochu salli here.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Wash, peel (optional) and grate cucumber. You can finely chop it too.
- Grind grated coconut, green chilli, and mustard seeds (raw) in a mixer to smooth paste.
- Add ground paste, curd or buttermilk to the chopped cucumber.
- Add salt . Mix well.
- This kochu salli doesn't need any seasoning/ tadka. Optionally you can temper mustard seeds in coconut oil and add too (I don't).
- Serve fresh raita with rice or any rice item.