Hog plum is a tropical fruit with tangy taste. It has a high culinary use either in pickle or curries. Tender once are usually used in pickles and matured/ ripe hog plums are used in saaru, gojju & curries. Look for the recipe of Hog plum Raita/ Amtekai mosaru gojju.
Recently when we were in our home town, we got lot of these from a relative’s farm. Here is the recipe of making saaru of hog plum.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Hog plum/ Ambate (matured) – 4
Jaggery – Orange sized
Salt – to taste
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Green chillis – 2, adjust to your spice level
Coconut oil/ cooking oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Dry red chilli – 1
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Garlic cloves - 6
- Wash hog plums, chop roughly. Boil in 3-4 cups of water.
- Add salt, jaggery, turmeric powder & slit green chillis while boiling.
- When hog plum is cooked and becomes soft, switch off the stove.
- Allow to cool a bit. Mash the cooked hog plums to make the stew thick.
- Add water if required and boil once again.
- Prepare a seasoning of mustard, oil, red chilli and garlic (peeled & crushed). Add the curry leaves. Garnish the stew with the seasoning/ tadka/ oggarane.
- This stew/ saaru goes great with rice & palya.