Tambuli/ tampu huli also known as hasi in Uttara Karnataka is coconut & buttermilk-based drink/ side dish. If you belong to havyaka community or you have already read my blogs, you might have already come across many other tambuli recipes. Tambulis are quick to make, probiotic rich drink which is best for hot summer days. Gut friendly, low spiced tambuli can be made with different greens, spices, vegetables or even with some of the fruits. Today I am sharing one such interesting tambuli made with a healthiest fruit Nerale hannu/ Java plum / Indian black berry or Jamun fruit. I don’t thing you need introduction to this fruit. If you wish click here to read about Nerale juice.
I heard about this tambuli from my co sister Vanitha. I had some of the curds/ yogurt based Jamun fruit recipes such as raita, frozen yogurt, misti doi/ Nerale lassi in my to do. Loved this tambuli very much with a hint of sweet, sour, mild bitter taste which entices our taste buds.
Lets go to the recipe now.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Java plum/ Nerale/ Jamun fruits – 10-12
Fresh grated coconut – ¼ cup
Fresh buttermilk – 1 cup
Cumin/ Jira – ½ tsp
Pepper corns – 6-8, adjust to taste
Salt – ½ tsp, as per taste
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Wash Jamun fruits, with a knife extract all the pulp and discard the seeds.
- Grind coconut, nerale hannu/ jamun fruit, cumin, pepper to smooth paste in a mixer adding little water if needed.
- Add salt, buttermilk and mix well. Adjust the consistency adding water if you need thin consistency.
- Prepare a tadka / seasoning of mustard and curry leaves in coconut oil, add it to tambuli.
- Serve this tambuli fresh as a drink or with rice as side dish. Enjoy your midday meal.