Barley is one nutritious and popular cereal used & available worldwide. Traditionally it was consumed in the form of malt, soup and beer/ other distilled beverages. The list of health benefits of barley is large. It is used to rehydrate body after diarrhoea, used in treating urinary infection and works as energy giving food. My grandmother used to drink barley water on regular basis to keep herself healthy. It is easy to make as just boiling of the cereal is needed. As I know, they weren’t eating the grain but used the drink the starch only. This cereal was used largely in baking bread & cookies. Barley dahlia (broken barley) can be used in making upma/ porridge as well.
Similarly, banana stem/ plantain stem is another super food according to me. It has proven benefits in many health ailments and I have mentioned few in my earlier posts like Banana stem palya.
Today I am sharing a recipe to make a very good detox drink or juice with these two ingredients. You can benefit highest out of it if you have it in empty stomach in the morning. It helps in hydrating body, weight loss and works as a thirst quencher which is ideal for this hot summer.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Barley water – 1 glass or 3 tsp of whole barley / broken barley
Banana stem juice – 1 glass, of 3 inch long stem
Salt – ¼ tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Process of making barley water:
- Wash 2-3 tsp of whole barley or broken barley with water.
- Boil it for 8-10 minutes with 2 glasses of water.
- Switch off the heat when barley is cooked and turns soft. Allow cooling. Strain and use the water for making the drink.
- To extract banana stem juice:
- Clean the stem, wash and chop it. Rinse in water once and drain.
- Take the chopped pieces in a mixer jar (Juice making), add 1 of glass water.
- Blend to get smooth puree. Strain using a juice strainer.
- Now, mix cooled barley water (1 glass) and banana stem juice (1 glass).
- Add salt and lemon juice. Mix and serve chilled.
- This is a perfect thirst quencher & drink to hydrate body during this hot hot summer.
You can make barley water at night and use it in the morning to make this juice.