Plantain stem is one healthy vegetable, which generally isn’t used much. It is wasted many times just because of lack of knowledge of using it & benefits that it has! It is very easy to cook and that works great in making varieties of vegetarian dishes. It can be consumed raw or cooked as well. Banana stem/ plantain stem/ Baale dindu is usually harvested after cutting (harvesting) matured & about to ripe banana fruit. Note that not all the varieties of banana stem tastes great & can be used in cooking.
Banana stem is very rich in dietary fibre & it is low in carbohydrates and no fat. Including it in our diet helps in treating digestive system disorders like acidity & gastritis, kidney stones and it helps in reducing body weight. It flushes out toxins from our body and works well in detoxifying the system. Check for the recipes of Banana Stem Bajji, Banana stem sasive, Banana stem Chutney here. Now let us see how to make Subzi/ palya/ stir fry.
There are two methods to make this palya. I am writing one, in which no grinding is required. It is very easy to make recipe.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Banana stem – ½ ft long
Salt – to taste (about ½ - 1 tsp
Jaggery (powder or grated)– 1 tsp
Chilli powder – ½ tsp, adjust as needed
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Freshly grated coconut – 2 tbsp
Coconut oil – 2 tsp, you can use any cooking oil
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Gram dal – 1 tsp
Dry red chilli – 1
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Remove possible outer skin layer of banana stem which comes easily with your fingers.
- Slice the stem into thin round discs and dip in water for 5 minutes.
- Chop above discs into small pieces and keep aside.
- Now take a wok. Heat oil, add mustard, gram dal, minced dry red chilli and allow spluttering. Add cleaned curry leaves to this seasoning.
- Add chopped banana stem. Add salt, jaggery, turmeric and chilli powder. Add about ¼ cup of water to cook. Mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook it for ten minutes or water evaporates completely.
- Now, add grated coconut and mix well. Switch off the stove.
- Serve this healthy palya with hot rice and a dollop of ghee.
- In another method, instead of grated coconut, ground paste of coconut, red chilli and mustard is added and cooked at the end.
- This method can be used for stir fries of bamboo shoot, watermelon rind or breadfruit palya.