Aren’t in a mood to cook something fancy? Or looking for an easiest & quickest side dish as quick fix to the demanding lunch menu!? Or want to make something nutritious to serve your family in very less time? Here is the answer!
Dal tadka or simple tur dal/ togari bele tove solves all the above problems. It is easy to make, can be quickly made by a new budding cook even! At the same time it is very rich protein & other nutrients. You can include it in your toddler's diet too, but without spice!
Now, let us see how to make it.
Preparation & cook time: 20 minutes
Tur dal/ Split pigeon peas/ Togari bele – 1 cup
Green chillies – 2
Ginger – ½ inch (optional)
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Lemon juice – 2 tsp (optional)
Coriander leaves – few strands
Cooking oil – 2-3 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Dry red chilli – 1, minced
Garlic flakes – 5-6 (optional)
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Asafoetida/ hing – 1 pinch
- Wash and cook tur dal in a pressure cooker using required water (around 3 cups) and a pinch of turmeric powder. 3-4 whistles are required.
- Mash dal with a spatula, when pressure releases. Add salt, slit green chillies and chopped coriander leaves. Add cleaned and crushed ginger to it. Adjust the required consistency by adding water as needed. Boil well & switch off the heat. It should not be too runny, instead bit thicker consistency.
- Now prepare the seasoning (tadka). Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, cumin, hing & minced dry red chilli. Add peeled and crushes garlic flakes too. On spluttering, add curry leaves. Add this seasoning to dal.
- At the end add lemon juice (optional), mix.
- Serve hot dal with hot rice and ghee or with chapathi. It even works as side dish for idlis.
- Dal should be cooked very soft.
- You can add onions and tomatoes while making this dal.
- Optionally vegetables like drumstick can be added. If using it, cook dal for 3 whistle. After opening the lid add cut vegetable and cook for 1 whistle.