This side dish is a great combination to poori & chapathi and nutritionally very rich too. Though I mentioned as green gram, you need not stick to this lentil. Instead you can make it with any other lentil like chickpeas, whole pigeon peas, black eyed peas/ lobia or combination of 2 or more. You can also add choice of vegetables in it to add the goodness of vegetables too.
Basically I learnt it from my sister who often makes it.
Check here for the recipe of Kaalu/ pulses sambhar for rice.
Preparation time: 6 hours
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Pulses of choice (green gram/ lobia/ chickpeas..) – 1 cup
Diced vegetables of choice (potatoes/ carrots/ beans) – ½ cup (optional)
Tomato – 1
Onions – 1 (small)
Garlic – 6 cloves
Coriander leaves – few sprigs (to garnish)
Salt – to tatse
Jaggery – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Dry red chillis (byadagi) – 2, adjust to taste
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Grated coconut – 4 tbsp
- Wash & soak green gram or the lentils you are using for 6 hours or overnight.
- When it is done, wash again & drain water.
- Wash & cut vegetables, keep them ready.
- Cook lentils/ kaalu, vegetables in a pressure cooker with sufficient water and salt.
- Chop tomatoes roughly, peel and chop onions too.
- Take a frying/ tadka pan, roast coriander seeds & red chillis for a while.
- Take spices, tomatoes, onions, garlics & grated coconut in a mixer jar and grind to smooth paste.
- Now heat a wok/ kadai. Add oil & mustard.
- On spluttering, add ground paste and fry until raw smell goes off.
- Add cooked lentils & vegetables. Add jaggery, turmeric powder.
- Combine, boil well.
- Transfer to the serving bowl garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve with chapathi/ pooris
- Variations can be possible by replacing coriander by urad dal in the masala.
- It can be prepared with or without vegetables.