Wild ixora / Ixora coccinea/ Kaadu kiskara are the
wild edible flowers found in South India, Srilanka & few other Asian
countries. These flowering plants belonging to Rubiaceae, are also known as
flame of the woods or jungle geranium. They are grown in areas receiving good
amount of sunlight, well- drained soil which can sustain in dry hilly areas
Ixora plant parts like tender leaves, bark, root & flowers were used in folk medicine for ages! Documents say it was administered in case of long term/ unhealed wounds, diarrhea and other health issues. It is known to be wonderful remedy for mouth ulcers too. Chewing few flowers every day or using them in preparations like tambuli is helpful in treating mouth ulcers. I am sharing ixora flower tambuli recipe in today’s post.
Also check out some of the common home remedies for mouth ulcers!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
grated coconut – ¼ cup
ixora flowers – small fistful
seeds – ¼ tsp (optional), one can use cumin seeds too instead
– to taste
– 3-4 seeds (optional)
buttermilk – 1 cup
– 1 tsp (optional), do not use this if not adding fenugreek seeds
ghee/ oil – 1 tsp
seeds – ½ tsp
leaves – 1 sprig
- Collect wild ixora flowers; look carefully in order to avoid any bugs. Clean them by picking only good quality flowers & buds. Discard any dry flowers, sepals or other unwanted things.
- Wash them clean with running water.
- If using fenugreek seeds, then fry them with few drops of oil/ ghee until they turn brown color and you get a nice aroma.
- Now take washed flowers, grated coconut, fried methi seeds (or cumin), jaggery and pepper (if using them) in a mixer jar. Grind to smooth paste by adding water as required.
- Transfer this paste to a serving bowl. Add salt and fresh buttermilk.
- Now prepare a seasoning of mustard and curry leaves in oil or ghee and add that to the tambuli.
- Serve this tambuli fresh with rice or as a drink.
- You can make the tambuli consistency runny by adding water.
- You can add wilted tended wild ixora leaves to this tambuli too.
- More pepper can be added or no pepper depending on your requirement.
- Don’t add cumin and fenugreek seeds both while making tambuli. You can add either of them or leave both.
- It is always recommended to serve tambuli fresh.