Hello dear reader, as summer has almost arrived & water melons found everywhere in India. Watermelons are one of the most loved fruits during summer and the benefits are many too. What do you do with the rind/ white part of watermelons after eating the juicy sweet red fruit core? Throwing away them? If so, just think before as they are also good sources of fiber, other nutrients and they are having less sugar compared to the red part. Try these ideas of Dosa, Palya/ stir fry to include the watermelon rind in your diet.
my recipe of watermelon rind stirfry/ palya..
Today’s recipe is instant watermelon rind dosa or Kallangadi sippe (bachankai odu in havyaka) neer dosa. This is very similar to cucumber dosa, bannankai/tendercoconut dosa, ash gourd dosa, plantain stem or banana stem dosa.
time: 2-3 hours (soaking time)
time: 30-40 minutes
Servers: 14-15 dosas
Roughly chopped watermelon rinds – 2 cups
Dosa rice – 3.5 cups
Salt – to taste
Oil/ ghee – to make dosa
- Wash and soak dosa rice in water for 2-4 hours.
- After cutting water melon fruit, peel the outermost green skin thinly and discard. Take only the white rind, wash once and chop it roughly.
- Drain water from soaked rice completely. Wash the rice once again.
- Take chopped watermelon rind, rice in a mixer jar. Add salt and grind it adding enough water to make smooth batter. Consistency of the batter should be little thicker than neer dosa batter.
- Make dosas with fresh batter or refrigerate this batter until dosa is prepared. Do not ferment this batter.
Making of dosa:
- Adjust the batter adding required water to make the consistency that of little thicker than neer dosa batter and thinner than plain dosa batter. You can check and add more water after making one dosa if it is harder.
- Heat iron griddle/ pan. Apply little oil or ghee.
- Drop a ladle full of batter and spread to make dosa. Or you can follow the method of making neer dosa.
- Close the lid and cook for a minute or until it is cooked properly and dosa comes out of tava clean. Apply ghee on top and roast inverting it for a while. (This is optional.)
- Serve hot healthy dosa with choice of coconut chutney.