Dosa, idli are the comfort and regular breakfast in many south Indian homes. Making variety of dosas than regular plain dosa is always better as it makes breakfast more interesting and nutritious. Plain dosa, masala dosa, neer dosa, cucumber dosa, Tender coconut dosa are some varieties I make in my kitchen. This plantain stem/ banana stem is one more addition to the list as it makes delicious dosa, at the same time it is safe for everyone and healthier option too. I need not mention about the goodness of banana stem as I have already posted some of the plantain stem dishes such as Plantain stem Bajji, Plantain stem sasive, Banana stem Palya, Barley plantain stem juice, Banana Stem chutney …
Preparation time: 4 hours
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 16-20 dosa
Roughly chopped plantain stem – 2 cups/ around ½ ft length cleaned banana stem
Dosa rice – 3 cups
Salt – to taste
Oil/ ghee – to make dosa
Making of batter
- Wash and soak dosa rice in water for 2-4 hours.
- Now, clean banana stem by removing outer covers. Wash clean and chop roughly using a sharp knife. Rinse chopped plantain stem in water.
- Drain water from soaked rice completely. Take chopped banana stem, rice in a mixer jar.Add salt and grind it adding enough water to make smooth batter. Consistency of the batter should be watery like neer dosa batter or little thicker.
- Make dosas with fresh batter or refrigerate this batter until dosa is prepared. Do not ferment this batter.
Making of dosa:
- Adjust the batter adding required water to make the consistency that of little thicker than neer dosa batter. You can check and add more water after making one dosa if it is harder.
- Heat iron griddle/ pan. Apply little oil or ghee.
- Drop a ladle full of batter and spread to make dosa. Or you can follow the method of making neer dosa.
- Close the lid and cook for a minute or until it is cooked properly and dosa comes out of tava clean. Apply ghee on top and roast inverting it for a while. (This is optional.)
- Serve hot dosa with choice of coconut chutney.
- You can add ½ or one small cucumber with banana stem while grinding dosa batter for the enhanced flavour.
- Chopped onions, curry leaves, geen chilli and/ or coriander leaves can be added in the batter as well.