Ever since I tried my first soup made with coconut milk, I stopped using cow’s milk or cream in soups. The flavor of coconut milk blends so well in soup and it turns out to be super delicious. I made & posted vegan sweet corn soup & bamboo shoot soup earlier and now it is mushroom soup. It is very simple except only process of extracting coconut milk if you are a person of doing it from scratch like I do!
It is thick, creamy, rich & at the same time, flavorful. There are not too many ingredients used.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Button mushrooms – 100 grams
Thick Coconut milk – 1 cup
Salt - to taste
Pepper powder- ¼ tsp, adjust to taste
Finely minced garlic – 1 tsp, or 4-5 cloves of garlic
Sugar/ jaggery – 1 tsp
Corn flour – 1 tsp
Cooking oil/ butter/ ghee – 2 tsp. Use oil if you need a vegan option
- Wash mushrooms well in clean water. Discard thinly sliced portion of stalk base (normally that looks black). Slice whole mushroom with a sharp knife or cut as desired. I normally peel outer skin of mushroom before cutting.
- Peel off garlics and finely chop them & keep aside.
- Extract coconut milk and keep that ready too.
- Now heat oil/ butter in a thick bottomed vessel or pan. Add finely minced garlic. Fry until they turn brown.
- Add chopped / sliced mushrooms and continue sautéing. Mushroom releases water. Continue to fry them until they turn tender, all water evaporates and mushrooms turn slightly brown.
- Add salt and pepper powder.
- When mushroom is properly cooked, add coconut milk. 1 tsp sugar/ jaggery.
- Add 1 tsp corn flour dissolved in ½ cup water.
- Bring this soup to boil.
- Switch off and serve hot creamy soup.
- You can make variations adding chopped onions along with garlic.
- You can also add choice of herbs to this soup.