Who doesn’t like sweet corn? I guess very less hands up! I like it in any form. Be it Sweet corn masala or Sweet corn salad or crispy sweet corn or just boiled buttery sweet corn. Here is a recipe for creamy sweet corn soup with coconut milk which makes it vegan. It is very tasty and creamy with the flavours of garlic and choice of herb. I used fresh Maruga (Davana/ Marjoram/ Origanum majorana) in making, where as you can choose any herb of choice.
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Sweet corn - 1 cup or little more (Approx. 1 corn cob)
Coconut milk (thick) – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Pepper powder – ¼ tsp, adjust to taste
Garlic cloves – 6
Fresh maruga leaves – 1 tsp, finely chopped
Corn starch – 1-2 tsp
Water – 1.5 – 2 cups
- Initially, peel off garlic and mince very fine and keep aside.
- Separate sweet corn kernels from cleaned cob and take in a vessel. Add water and bring to boil.
- Add salt and pepper powder.
- When corn is cooked and becomes soft, dissolve corn starch in 2 spoons of water and add to the boiling soup.
- On thickening, add coconut milk and chopped fresh herb. Mix with a ladle. Switch off the stove when it just starts boiling.
- In a pan take minced garlic. Dry roast until brown and add to the hot soup.
- Serve this hot soup with added pepper powder if required.
- If you like to add ghee/ butter, then fry minced garlic with it and add it to the soup.
- You can add other fresh herbs or dry powder of mixed herbs instead Maruga.