Fresh figs are greatest source of many nutrients such as Vitamins (A, B, C, K), minerals (Potassium, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc) and also good amount of dietary fibre along with carbohydrates & protein. Fig tree is also good in developing green space with fastest growing property in tropical climate. One can harvest enough fresh, healthy & juicy fruits from a single tree during spring season. We are having good harvest since last year. I tried fresh figs milkshake, fig & banana smoothie and figs & banana buns last season. I observed that it has very good jellying property while making milkshake last year. I wanted to make halwa, which did not happen until this season. Now, I initially planned to make jam, whereas while cooking them they smelled & color looked very similar that of banana halwa and ended up in this delicious halwa with that mildly crunch texture giving it special taste.
Now, I am sharing the recipe of fresh figs halwa here. I haven’t tried making this sweet with dry figs, but I feel it can also be possible by soaking them for some times. In that case sugar measure may have to be reduced a bit as ‘store bought’ dry figs are sweeter than fresh ones.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes – 1 hour
Serves: about 20- 25 pieces
Figs - 2 cups
Sugar - nearly 1.5 cups , adjust according to the sweetness of the fruit
Ghee- 3-4 tbsp
Corn flour - 1/4 cup dissolved in little water (optional), I used
Chopped nuts(cashews, almonds) – 2 tbsp
- Collect fresh, juicy figs. Rinse well. Peel & discard outer skin.
- Chop them roughly. Take them in a mixer jar, blend to get puree of figs.
- Take a heavy wok/ pan.
- Heat a tbsp. of ghee, add pureed figs & start cooking.
- When it boils add corn flour mix, sugar.
- Stir continuously by adding little ghee at a time.
- When it forms a single mass leaving sides of the wok, it's done.
- Add chopped nuts, mix well.
- Spread on a greased plate, cut into desired shape after cooling.
- Halwa making time will vary depending on the heat, cooking vessel.
- More time will be taken to get firm pieces if sugar measure is reduced.
- Same way, dates/ banana halwa can also be made.