Dosa is a staple food that we consume as breakfast in south India. It is a kind of mandate to have at least twice a week in our home. It is not only easy to make if batter is ready but also makes a wholesome meal, loved by most. So making it interesting, attractive by variety is all about the task of a homemaker! Nutrition value of it cannot be ignored too as it is to start the day. Unique dosa can be made by altering few ingredients or addition of goodness (vegetables/ fruits/ pulses) to the regular batter.
Check for few dosa recipes that I have already shared such as
- Plantainstem neer dosa
- Tender coconut dosa
- Bread dosa/ Majjige dosa
- Ripebanana dosa
- Cucumberspicy dosa
- Wheatbarley dosa
- Cucumberneer dosa
- Multigrains dosa
- Odu Dosa
Preparation time: 10 hours
Cooking time: 45 minutes (for making dosa)
Serves: 20 – 24 dosas
Dosa rice – 3.5 cups
Urad dal – 1/4 cup
Horse gram/ Huruli/ Kudu – ¾ - 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp (optional)
Salt – to taste (1.5 tsp. approx)
Oil & Ghee – for preparing dosa
- Wash rice, urad dal, horse gram & fenugreek seeds with clean water and soak in water for minimum 4 hours.
- When it is done, wash once again, drain water.
- Take rice, horse gram, dal & fenugreek (soaked & washed) in a wet mixer jar or grinder. Grind to smooth batter adding required water. Add salt while grinding.
- Mix the batter well and keep it covered in a warm place to ferment. It requires minimum 8 – 10 hours. Ideal timing is evening 4 – morning until you make dosas.
- The batter rises as it ferments, so have enough space in the vessel.
- Heat the iron griddle/ tava. Apply little oil on top.
- Adjust the consistency to that of plain dosa batter adding water. Take a ladleful of batter and spread on the griddle as you like. That is mini or single large, thin or thick dosa.
- Cover with the lid and cook. Apply 1 tsp of fresh ghee on dosa, flip to cook other side. It takes approximately 2 minutes to make a dosa.
- Serve hot dosa with coconut chutney, potato palya/ sambhar.