Pineapple is one versatile fruit which goes great in sweet dessert to savory curries. I have already shared some of the recipes like pineapple rasam, pineapple chutney, pineapple juice, pineapple kheer, pineapple sorbet, pineapple flavored sooji halwa… Today I am sharing an interesting rice recipe made with pineapple. Try this flavorful rice and make your meal interesting.
Happy Gowri Ganesha festival to you all.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Finely chopped pineapple -1 cup
White Rice (Basmati/ sona masuri) – 2 cups
Onions - 1 (big)
Slit green chillis – 2
Bay leaf - 1
Cinnamon – ½ inch stick
Cloves – 3
Pepper corns – 6-8
Salt – to taste
Sugar – 2 tsp
Ghee/ Butter – 2 tbsp
Cashews – 10-15
Grated coconut – 2-3 tbsp (optional)
Coriander leaves (chopped) – to garnish (optional)
- Wash rice and cook with required amount of water (1:2) & salt for 3 whistles. Don’t add more water and avoid cooking too soft. Set aside until pressure settles down.
- Peel the skin of pineapple and chop it finely. Set aside.
- Peel onions and Slice lengthwise into thin pieces.
- Slit green chillis.
- Crush pepper, cloves & cinnamon a bit using mortar & pestle.
- Heat thick kadai/ wok with ghee/ butter (or you can use oil too).
- Add the bay leaf and crushed spices. Fry until you get nice aroma.
- Add green chillis, sliced onions, little salt and fry on medium flame until onions turn brown.
- Add chopped pineapple and fry until it it cooked & water content evaporates.
- Add grated coconut, Sugar and sauté until everything combines well.
- Switch off the stove. Mix precooked rice. Garnish with chopped coriander and roasted cashews.
- Serve this warm pineapple rice as is or with choice of sauce.
- You can use left over rice.
- Rice can be cooked with coconut milk to enhance the flavour.
- Jaggery can be used instead sugar.