This is one of the quickest side dish recipes one can think of! It can be prepared in no time if boiled potatoes are ready. It makes a lovely combination to chapathi/ roti & poori.
Ingredients required to make this also very less and easily available in every Indian kitchen. Let us go through the recipe now.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Potatoes (medium sized) – 5-6
Cumin seeds – 1.5 tbsp
Green chillis – 2 chopped
Fresh Coriander leaves - 2-3 tbsp, finely chopped
Cumin powder – ½ tsp
Chilli powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp (to taste)
Lemon juice- 1-2 tsp (adjust as you like)
- Rinse potatoes well and pressure cook them with enough water. Potatoes should be cooked but firm.
- Don’t boil too soft & mushy. 3 whistles should be sufficient. Set aside until, pressure settles down.
- Meanwhile, keep green chillis & coriander leaves washed & chopped separately.
- When potatoes are cooled, open the pressure cooker, peel & discard the skin.
- Cut potatoes into cubes of desired size.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- On spluttering, add chopped green chillis, fry for a while, until raw smell goes off or they start changing colour.
- Add cumin powder, cubed potatoes.
- Sprinkle salt, turmeric powder & chilli powder.
- Mix everything well so that spices & salt blends well with potatoes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, mix once again.
- Switch off the stove.
- Add lemon juice & mix.
- Serve with hot roti/ pooris.
- You can use only cumin seeds and avoid cumin powder, that gives extra flavour.
- Cumin seeds can be replaced with coriander powder to make dhaniya aloo, in this case mustard seeds can be used in seasoning.